Monday, November 27, 2006

back to reality

Got back from my trip last night - after being gone for the better part of the week - to find an email from Joseph. Haven't heard from him for a while, so it wasn't entirely surprising. Apparently woman and child are gone until a week from yesterday, so he wants some attention.

He was online, so we talked a bit, then he called me. All I could think of was that annoying-ass song, "Lips of an Angel". It was bad because I hate the song, but it so perfectly describes him that I almost have to laugh.

Like most of the men in my life, he seems much more sure of his feelings for, well, everything, than I ever have.

I was falling asleep, so when he called, I was already curled up in bed. I probably shouldn't have answered, but I did, and we talked for maybe twenty minutes. He didn't flirt with me (much); for the most part we talked about very mundane things. It was okay, but nothing entirely special.

The thing that I keep coming back to is that this weekend, it wasn't him that I missed. I know that he'll be sticking around for a long time, and he'll probably move into the kind of role in my life that he wants, but this is not that time. And like I said, it wasn't his name on my lips as I woke up this weekend.

He wants to call me again tonight. I didn't tell him that Jay is coming over; we're supposed to do dinner and a movie. I think I'll pass on both; I'm exhausted and sore from the weekend and skiing - but neither am I going to answer Joseph when he calls.

No comments: