Monday, January 10, 2011

On echochambers

I will preface this by saying I'm composing it on my iPhone, so I will be editing for spelling, etc. later. And I apologize for any typographical errors that most assuredly will be found!

Anyway. One of the criticisms I see leveled by trolls against blogs that don't put up with their shit is "oh I see, you just want an echo chamber, not real debate", or similar.

Requiring you to stay on topic is not making an echo chamber.

Requiring you to meet minimum civility standards is not making an echo chamber.

Requiring that you read a stated commenting policy is not making an echo chamber.

Dismissing your cries of "but what about my 1st amendment rights!" is not making an echo chamber; a private blog is not the government.

Requiring you to back up your contradictory assertions with reputable sources is not making an echo chamber.

Requiring you to provide examples of your contradictory assertion on the scale of the evidence presented in the post or comment you are replying to is not making an echo chamber.

Requiring you to not be a douchebag, and banning you when you are, is not making an echo chamber.

I realize that I am somewhat preaching to the proverbial choir here, but if you are going to come in to my virtual living room, I get to set the rules on what he conversation looks like. Don't like the rules? Get your own blog.

And also? So what if a blog is an echo chamber? I mean, really, if that is your WINNING POINT to make the blogger change their mind, you are not going to be a big winner today, or any other day. If it is an echo chamber, it is probably that way by design. Get your own blog and run it how you want.

No comments: