Saturday, July 01, 2006

All the things she said

Friday nights are tough for me. I work until at least 11:00, and then get to go home, sleep for a few hours, and be back at work at 8:00 the next morning. It's thrilling, I assure you.

Last night, I wound up working until 11:30 (why no, it's not acceptable to parade around the house in your underwear! And no, I don't think it's too much to ask you to follow the rules; why do you ask?) and not going to sleep until nearly 3:00. I had set my alarm soon after getting home, because ideally I wanted to be asleep shortly after midnight. My brain had other ideas, unfortunately.

As I was falling asleep, the little voice in my head said that I should set the alarm on my mobile, just to make sure that I woke up in the morning. As the mobile was right next to me, and the process is quick and doesn't involve me leaving bed, I did so, setting it for 7:00 am. That gives me forty minutes to shower and get dressed before having to leave for work.

I woke up this morning to my mobile's alarm, dazed and confused and wondering why the hell I was even hearing it. Turns out my power went out at some point during the night shortly after I went to sleep, and had but recently come back on. Awesome.

So now it's off to work. Getting woken up by the mobile alarm is certainly more pleasant than waking to the "work" ringtone, but not nearly as pleasant as staying in bed, fast asleep.

No comments: